Some facts and figures about Surrogacy in India:
· First surrogate baby in India was delivered on June 23rd, 1994
· In 2002, India became the first country in the world to allow commercial surrogacy
· Approx. 2000 babies are born every year through commercial surrogacy in India
· With approx.. 12000 foreign nationals coming to India for surrogacy every year, it is now a huge industry worth Rs 3000 crore
· Anand, Gujarat is considered the surrogacy capital of India
· A surrogate is paid somewhere between 4-12 lakhs for carrying a child, other than the expenses
· If Surrogacy Bill is passed as law, commercial surrogacy will be abolished in the country.