Day 10 of #AtoZChallenge
No discussion about thrillers and drama novels is complete without the mention of Jeffrey Archer. Having read some of is best novels such as Kane and Abel, The Prodigal Daughter, First Among Equals and Only Time will Tell, I can vouch that he is the master of thrillers and completely deserves the “unputdownable” adjective for his books.
However, Archer’s fame and name cannot be attributed to his thrillers only. He has had an equally thrilling personal life as well. Not all for the good reasons though. From being a Member of Parliament to being totally bankrupt and bouncing back to fame and hitting gold with his best-selling books, he has seen it all. He also encountered scandals more often than he would have liked. He was imprisoned for perjury and fabricating false alibi in a case against Daily Star. While in prison, he wrote a drama series “A Prison Diary”. He quoted later about his writing in prison ,” I wrote a million words in the first year, and I could never have done that outside of prison”.
In spite of having a colourful life (mostly in the darker shades), Jeffrey Archer is admired for his work all across the world. And it is often said that his life itself will make a bestseller of all times.
5 interesting and lesser known facts about this author
- His books have sold more than 330 million copies in 97 countries and translated to more than 33 languages so far.
- Archer has a huge sand clock which tracks his writing time. He makes sure to write 120 minutes according to that clock before taking a break.
- Each of his word is handwritten. He does not use a computer or laptop.
- He had played a small part in the movie Bridget Jone’s Diary. He walks past the main characters in one of the scenes.
- In 1987, Archer had won damages of £500,000 by suing a tabloid which reported that he had paid £2000 for a prostitute. In an interesting turn of events, in 2000, Archer had to return all of it along with interests and was imprisoned for having fabricated a witness in this case.
Linking this post to #AtoZChallenge with #BlogChatter