Everybody who has had anything to do with books in their life has heard this name. And those who like to read must have read at least one of his books. Ruskin Bond is a name that needs no introduction. With 100s of stories for children and adults, Bond’s pen has created magic every time it touched paper. At 82 years of age, Ruskin Bond still manages to churn out a great tale when he writes.
Image Courtesy: TOI Blog
We have already read tons of stuff about Ruskin Bond’s books. But the man behind these books is equally awesome. Here are some interesting facts about one of the greatest writers ever.
- Ruskin Bond was born on 19 May 1934 to a British Air Force employee. His childhood was spent in small towns like Jamnagar, Shimla, and Dehradun before moving to London for higher studies. He came back to settle down in India.
- Bond published his first book, The Room on the Roof, at the age of 17.
- Ruskin Bond was awarded the coveted Padma Shree in 1999 and Padma Bhushan in 2014.
- Many of Bonds books have turned into movies and TV serials. The Blue Umbrella by the same name, Junoon based on A Flight of Pigeons, Ek tha Rusty, 7 Khoon Maaf based on Susanna’s seven husbands are some of them.
- Ruskin Bond is writing is auto-biography in three parts- the first part is about his journey as a writer, the second part will be on his personal life and the third one will be on his “invented life”, the one that he would like to have.
- Bond maintains a diary and notes the events of his daily life. This diary has been his inspiration while writing for many years now.
- Even at the age of 82 now, Bond writes tirelessly and works on more than one project at a time.
- He is currently working on his auto-biography and an extension to the famous series Ek Tha Rusty that was originally written in 1970s.
- Bond did not marry and lives with his adopted family in the serene city of Mussourie (Uttarakhand).
Linking this post to #AtoZChallenge with #Blogchatter